Accommodations & Layout
The salon features a L-shaped settee on the port side that slides out to form a double berth, across from a straight settee on the starboard side which both make an excellent sea berths. Further aft on the starboard side is a forward facing nav station followed by a large pantry with pullout drawers to access all of your stores. Opposite the nav station is the U-shaped galley which has a deep double stainless steel sink, a 3 burner gimbaled stove and oven, along with a large fridge and freezer. You will find storage abounds throughout this vessel and the galley is no different. Aft of the galley is the aft stateroom with a double berth and cedar lined hanging locker. Starboard you will find the aft head with separate shower stall and access to the engine room (which provides excellent access to the engine and other systems). The companion way lifts up to provide additional access to the engine and a custom manifold system.
- (2) 16,000 BTU Cruisair Reverse Cycle AC units
- Beautiful rich cherry joinery, with white ceilings and overhead
- Solid teak and holly cabin sole (not a veneer)
- Curtains for privacy
- Froli box spring system under both berths. Provides both additional comfort and good air flow under cushions.
- (2017) 32" flat screen TV, with DVD
- AM/FM/CD stereo with AUX input for MP3 players
- 2 Bose speakers in Main Salon
- 2 Bose speakers in Cockpit
- Shades and screens for all hatches
- Screens for all portholes
- Large "U" shaped galley
- It has abundant counter space, storage drawers and cabinets
- Great ventilation as it is next to the companionway, with an opening port and hatch overhead
- Brilliantly executed huge pantry cupboard with slide out drawers on stbd behind nav seat
- Custom cabinets with slide out drawers
- Deep storage for pots and pans
- Princess Three Burner Gimbaled Propane Stove and Oven with Safety Bar
- (2014) Frigoboat 12V keel cooled Fridge and Freezer. Units are also air cooled for use in boat yard if necessary.
- (2013) Watermaker: Spectra Cape Horn Extreme II 12V; 14gph
- Microwave Oven
- Pressure hot and cold water
- Extra Deep Double Stainless Steel Sinks with Grohe Faucet
- Fresh Water Foot Pump
- Salt Water Foot Pump
- 3M Drinking water filter faucet (added 2014) with 4 spare filters
- Easy Access Trash Bin
"Next Place" has an electrical system designed for cruising. Systems are primarily run on 12v, but there is backup from an independent 110v generator. Solar panels and a wind generator provide charging in most conditions, supplying power for her new 12v refrigeration and the new watermaker, as well as all other 12v equipment. 12v charging is augmented by a high-output Balmar alternator when motoring. The addition of long-lasting AGM batteries has made her DC side extremely reliable. When additional power is needed, the generator is available.
- Generator: Westerbeke 8.0 BTDA 8.0 Kw. Approximately 676 hours. Recent full service by Westerbeke.
- Solar panels: 3 totaling 690W
- Solar Controller: Midnite Solar Classic 150
- Wind generator: KISS
- Engine Alternator: 200A Balmar AT 200 with external regulator. Driven by 2 1/2 inch Vee belts with a screw belt tensioning system attached. Belt adjust is super easy. (2014)
- 2 x 100A Victron Centaur Battery Chargers (2014). Exceedingly quick charging.
- 1 x 40A Freedom Charger
- Shorepower: 1 x 50A inlet and 2 x 30A inlet complete with 50 ft of cable for each
- House Battery Bank: 6 x Lifeline AGM 31XT (new Oct 2013)
- Starter Battery: 1 x Lifetline AGM 31XT (new Oct 2013)
- Battery Monitoring: Victron MNS602 monitors both the house bank and the start battery.
- Inverter: 1 x 1800 W 110V/60 Hz Freedom Inverter
- 8 dual AC outlets conveniently located throughout the boat
- 2 x DC cigarette lighter style outlets at the nav station, 1 in cockpit
Navigation & Electronics
"Next Place" comes with a complete electronics package, for both navigation and worldwide communication.
- ICOM 504 VHF
- ICOM 802 SSB
- Pactor II for email via the SSB
- Iridum 9575 Satellite telephone with external antenna for more reliable transmission and reception (new Jan. 2014)
- WestMarine handheld VHF
- Included is the ship's laptop, a Toshiba, which has never been connected to the internet. It has been sequestered from any source of viruses
- Included software is: The OCENS suite of weather and email software. The Sailmail suite of software to control Pactor Modem and SSB email
- B&G Zeus T8 8" touchscreen chart plotter in cockpit (2014)
- B&G Go Free wifi network (2014) The wifi allows you to use your iPad to view and control the chart plotter from anywhere on the boat.
- B&G 4G Radar (2014)
- B&G AIS transceiver (with hidden switch to disable transmissions if required)(2014). Signal appears on the plotter screen.
- B&G Compass (2014)
- Dual Frequency depth transponder (2014)
- EPIRB Pro (2017)
- B&G Hydra 2000 Wind, Depth and Log. Display in companionway and also at Nav Station.
- Autopilot: B&G ACP2 with Type Hydraulic Ram and with remote wireless "Remote Vision" controller. Remote controller also displays speed, depth, etc.
- Monitor Wind Vane plus Simrad Tiller pilot to steer vane if wind is insufficient or flukey.
Sails & Rigging
Double spreader aluminum spar, stepped to the keel. Cutter rigged. Mainsail has a Doyle "stack-pack" type system, preferred by many for offshore sailing. Dual furlers forward, one for the staysail and one for the headsail.
- Navtec Rod rigging.
- Navtec Hydraulic Backstay adjuster
- 2 x Lewmar ST68 Winches (primaries)
- 1 x Lewmar ST48
- 5 x Lewmar ST44 (2 on mast, 3 in cockpit)
- Electric WinchRite cordless winch handle (turns any winch into an electric winch)
- Stainless steel fanny rails at mast
- Quantum Main with 3 reefs. Two of the reefing points lines are led back to cockpit.
- New main halyard (2017)
- Quantum Staysail on Schaefer 2100 roller furler
- Quantum 135% Genoa on Schaefer roller furler
- Quantum Asymmetric Spinnaker. 1.5oz with ATN sleeve (sock)
- Forespar Whisker Pole, mounted on track on the mast
- Boom Vang/Preventer with lines led back to primary winches
- Extra preventer lines mounted on end of boom for added strength
- Genoa car tracks recessed in deck
- Fold-away Mast Steps: Nylon by Antal. Going up the mast is now easy!
Excellent deck layout! Easily walked with the chainplates slightly toward the outboard sides to allow passage. There is no teak topsides on this yacht. She has an aluminum perforated toerail atop the bulwarks. The grabrails are stainless steel and the decks themselves have non-skid. There is a massive, molded-in rubrail for hull protection, with an additional teak strip affixed and stainless steel striker over that.
- 12v Lighthouse 1501 Anchor Windlass. Double capstan, one for chain and one for rope rode
- Bowsprit can carry two large anchors on separate rollers
(2014) 77 lb Spade Anchor. This is 2 sizes larger than recommended. Has 350' of G4 high tensile 5/16 in chain (also new in 2014) This is better described as a mooring system instead of an anchor!
- 66 lb. Lewmar claw anchor as spare, stored under forward berth
- 45 lb CQR Anchor with 20 ft. of chain and 200 ft. of line
- FX37 Fortress Anchor, mounted on stern, with 20ft of chain and 200 ft. of line
- An additional 200+ feet of 5/16 G4 Chain stored under forward berth (2014)
The Valiant 50 comes standard with a hardtop for the dodger which covers the companionway area. In 2014, the owners had a custom built hardtop made for the rest of the cockpit. It is custom fabricated from stainless steel and, like most other things on "Next Place", massively overbuilt. It not only provides shade, but it also supplies solid and secure handholds for every spot in the cockpit. In addition, it provides a proper mount for the three solar panels and the wind generator, with the option of mounting a second wind generator.
- Hard dodger with navy blue Sunbrella canvas around windows, windows also have shade screens
- Navy blue Sunbrella pedestal cover
- Side curtains for hard top in toast sunbrella
- Metal security companionway board
- Hot and cold fresh water cockpit shower
OTHER DECK DETAILS:
- Hatch screens for 7 hatches
- Lifelines were upgraded in 2013. The upper wire lifeline was replaced with a stainless steel tubing for safety.
- S/S outboard motor lift with swing arm and pulleys
- (2017) Yamaha 15 hp 4 Stroke outboard with approximately 20 hours
- Winslow 6 Man Life Raft - Recertification done 9/28/17 and good through 9/28/2020
- Two deck awning that completely cover the boat bow-to-stern
- BBQ grill
- 4 x auto inflate life jackets with harnesses
- 2 x 50ft jacklines
- 2 x Kong double clip safety tethers
- Complete set of flares
- Full engine service done at 500 hours. There are now 900 hours total on the engine.
- New heat exchanger and water pump (2017)
- Floscan fuel flow meter and totalizer
- Remote oil change system by Reverso handles the oil changes for both the genset and the engine, quickly and with no spillage
- Engine and generator oil filters remotely mounted for easy access
- ZF Transmission
- Kobelt Hydraulic shaft brake
- (12/2013) PSS dripless shaft seal
- 20 inch MaxProp propeller, easily adjustable underwater. Propspeed applied 11/2014
- Cable wheel steering
- Emergency tiller
- 1 x 1800 gph electric bilge pump with float switch
- Manual bilge pump, in cockpit
- 1 x Shurflow 4 gpm Aqua King 2 fresh water pump (plus one brand new spare in box)
- 1 x 5 gpm Deck Washdown pump
- 2 shower pumps - diaphragm type (runs dry) beneath each shower pan
- All thru-hulls are bronze and solidly mounted to the hull with backing plates. Those below the waterline have ball valve sea cocks. All bonded to ground.
- 1.5 inch sea strainer for engine and generator intake. Has a T-valve to allow it to suck water from the bilge to act as an emergency bilge pump.
- Fresh water tank manifold beneath galley sink
- 1 x 140A Spare Balmar alternator
- 6 spare monitor vanes
- 1 x Tillerpilot brand new, with connections to Monitor wind vane
- Numerous lines and snubbers
- Numerous sundry blocks of varying sizes
- Spare propane solenoid valve
- Lots of filters for fuel and oil. Enough for one year of cruising
- Westerbeke Extended Cruising Spares kit for Genset
- Numerous engine spares, impellers, solenoids, v - belts etc.
- 1 x spare new, electric fresh portable water pumps
- 1 x spare new deck wash pump
- 1 x spare carbon 3M drinking water filters
- 1 x Spectra carbon filters
- 6 x Spectra 5 micron filters
- Spectra chemicals for washing and pickling membrane
Valiants are well known as some of the toughest cruising boats ever built.
From the brochure:
Since all Valiants were designed and built for the real world of offshore liveaboard cruising, one of the critical factors for safety is a strong hull, one that will provide maximum strength and impact resistance. To insure each and every Valiant meets this criteria, all Valiant hulls are hand laid fiberglass in a solid matrix of alternating layers of woven roving and mat. The only resin used is 100% isophthalic, hand mixed and catalyzed in a gallon increments with a catalyst/resin mixture dyed to achieve the proper wet out technique... Our interiors are built like the exteriors, strong! All furniture, whether horizontal or vertical, is fiberglass bonded to the hull and deck, insuring maximum strength... The external, bolted on lead ballast provides excellent defense against accidental grounding, while it also allows for a low, stabilizing center of gravity which optimizes performance and safety.
Every piece of equipment in the boat can be removed, if necessary, through a hatch or the companionway.
Hull is foam insulated, inside the solid fiberglass hull, just above the waterline. This prevents condensation and the musty odors and wood damage that can cause.
For those who want to do serious offshore cruising, "Next Place" is the one of the best choices available. Fully and thoughtfully equipped to sail oceans by a knowledgeable couple. She is excellent condition and ready to sail away.