David Walters Yachts
GET IN TOUCH WITH A BROKER
ON DISPLAY SEPTEMBER 14-17, 2023 - NEWPORT BROKERAGE BOAT SHOW
"Ragnar" is the Queen of the Fleet of Hylas 70s. Her distinctive all-weather cockpit and state-of-the-art electrical systems set her apart. In bristol condition and ready to continue cruising anywhere in the world today.
- 2022/2023 State-of-the-art DC yacht system: "Ragnar" is engineered to be run as a completely DC yacht. She was designed this way from the start, but her new owner has upgraded the system in 2022 to a full Victron integrated setup, using the latest technology. 10 new Victron lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries (2000 amp/hours total), Victron BMS systems, 2 Victron Quatttro inverter/chargers, 4 Victron Solar inverters, and all new wiring.
- 2022 Termodinamica DC air conditioners. AC without running a generator!
- 2022 Solaris non-skid solar panels, integrated into hard top
- Two independent ECH2O 24-volt DC watermakers for a total capacity of 64 gallons per hour
- Equipped with the larger engine option, the improved Yanmar 6BY3 260 HP turbo diesel.
- 2022 Quantum M8 Carbon fiber sails - 3 sails
- Incredibly well-equipped galley featuring two stainless steel front access refrigerators, a very large top and front access freezer, pull-out beverage chiller, icemaker, pull-out dishwasher, four-burner stovetop with oven and broiler, and a convection microwave oven. There is also a wine cooler in the main salon.
- Garmin navigation and communication equipment for unrestricted global voyaging
- Splendide 2100 XC vented combination washer and dryer
- Custom stainless-steel davits built by YRM of Fort Lauderdale featuring automatic extending arms specially designed to clear the transom and enable easy launch and retrieval of the tender. Each davit arm has a 500 lb capacity.
- QTLED 80 blue underwater lights at the transom
- KVH communication package
Interior Accommodations and Layout
"Ragnar" has a four-cabin layout with a large VIP stateroom forward, double guest cabin forward to port, a guest/crew cabin with over under bunks off the aft starboard passageway in which the lower bunk pulls out to a full-size double, and an immense full-beam master stateroom aft. The VIP, guest/crew, and master staterooms each feature an ensuite private head with a separate stall shower. The forward port guest cabin has a dedicated head and shared shower across the passageway.
The tasteful modern contemporary styling of the yacht includes a choice selection of materials and design features including tucked tan Ultraleather upholstered settees, custom holy and ebony hardwood inlays on both navigation station desktops as well as the salon and coffee tables, discontinuous arched passageways, flat-panel cabinetry, and teak joinery with matched horizontal grains and hand rubbed satin varnish finish. The interior carpet is constructed of 100% wool and was hand made and custom ordered from Nepal. It is exceptionally durable, easy to clean, and absolutely beautiful.
The main salon features large panoramic raised salon windows and fixed portholes outboard of the settees, providing superb seascape views and warm natural light throughout the yacht, creating an environment that is like an oasis on the water.
Aft and to the port of the salon is a galley that is certain to be the envy of any seafaring chef. Featuring a walk-in layout with top of the line appliances and numerous design features specifically chosen to enhance your enjoyment and comfort.
Interior Styling & Features:
- Teak cabin sole, except in the heads where they are molded non-skid white fiberglass
- Solid teak contemporary flat panel cabinetry finished with a hand rubbed satin varnish
- Passageway and doors with attractive discontinuous arches
- Tucked tan Ultraleather upholstered settees
- Witch Hazel Corian countertop with backsplashes in the galley and countertops in the heads
- Large teak trimmed Manship stainless steel low-profile deck hatches with concealed OceanAir SkyScreen 2 screens and shades
- Teak handrails and fiddled surfaces for traversing the interior while underway
- Full set of custom, 100% wool interior carpets custom ordered and hand made in Nepal
- Custom sub-flooring located under the cabin sole in the VIP stateroom, forward guest cabin, and forward passageway. This well-thought-out feature significantly increases the storage capacity while keeping items safe, secure, and well-ventilated.
The main salon of "Ragnar" is spacious and bright as a result of her 18 ft of beam, large panoramic raised salon windows, two enormous deck hatches, and two seascape windows behind the settees. To port, the L-shaped settee wraps surround the custom high-gloss teak table with intricate ebony and holy compass rose inlay. Two contemporary upholstered seats with backrests expand the seating capacity, enabling eight guests to comfortably dine. To starboard is a full-length settee with a coffee table. Outboard, as well as beneath both settees, there is an incredible amount of storage within the lockers, cabinets, and bookshelves.
Forward VIP Stateroom
Guests will appreciate the comfort and luxury of the large forward VIP stateroom with its island centerline queen berth, an abundance of storage, and ensuite access to the forward head and shower. The stateroom is especially inviting with natural light entering through the deck hatch with teak trim and screen.
Above and to either side of the berth are cabinets, cubbies, and fiddled shelves. At the foot of the berth are four drawers. To starboard, is a tall cabinet with three drawers and a fiddled shelf below. To port, is a tall hanging locker and three drawers. Flatscreen TV mounted to the aft bulkhead.
VIP Ensuite Head and Day Head with Shared Shower
Both the ensuite head for the VIP stateroom and day head, which is accessible from the forward passageway, feature three mirrored medicine cabinets with fiddled teak shelves inside, countertops with solid teak fiddles, stainless steel sinks with Moen fixtures, teak, and stainless steel towel racks, and Raritan Atlantes freshwater electric flush toilets. Both heads share a separate stall shower with a sizeable linen closet outboard, Moen shower fixture, soap and shampoo dispenser, and a folding teak shower seat. The heads and shower are well-ventilated with three opening portlights, a deck hatch, dorade vent, and two 3-speed Bora fans. The wall surfaces are easy to clean, high gloss Formica.
Forward Guest Stateroom
The guest cabin is located forward to port of the main salon. The comfortable double cabin features a large Pullman style berth with integrated leeboard and convenient access to the forward head across the passageway. Three cabinets outboard, a large wardrobe hanging locker forward, two very large double door cabinets beneath the berth, and a nightstand with fiddled shelving and drawers offer a generous amount of storage for guests. This is a very bright and well-ventilated cabin with three opening portlights, a large screened deck hatch, and dorade vent overhead. Flatscreen TV mounted to the hanging locker bulkhead.
Adjacent to the forward guest stateroom is a dedicated head, ideal for private use or convenient for day head access while underway.
Aft Guest/Crew Cabin
Designed for crew accommodations but perfect for visiting guests or grandchildren, the aft guest/crew cabin is accessible from the aft passageway and features over-under single bunks with integrated leeboards with two drawers and a cabinet beneath the lower bunk and a tall cedar lined cabinet forward. The underside of the upper bunk is finished with the same material as the interior headliner. The lower bunk pulls out the full width of the cabin, converting to a full size double berth. Each berth has an LED reading light and a 3-speed Bora fan. There are two opening portlights above the upper bunk.
Aft Head with Ensuite Access from the Guest/Crew Cabin and Master Stateroom
Aft to starboard, the aft head is accessible from both the guest/crew cabin as well as the master stateroom. (When crew is aboard, the door to the master stateroom can be locked, giving the crew their own head and show. When no crew is aboard, this becomes a second owner's head, providing his-and-hers heads for the Master Stateroom.) This head includes three mirrored medicine cabinets with fiddled shelves, countertop with solid teak fiddles, stainless steel sink with Moen fixtures, stainless-steel and teak towel rack, Raritan Atlantes freshwater electric flush toilet, and a separate stall shower with a folding teak shower seat and soap dispenser. Inside the shower is a cabinet containing a Splendide 2100 XC combination washer and dryer that vents overboard for fast and efficient drying. For ventilation, there is a 3-speed Bora fan and two opening portlights.
The wide beam of the Hylas H70 carries well aft resulting in a broad master stateroom that feels proper for a yacht of this caliber. The island-style centerline king with integrated leeboards is flanked on both sides by fiddled nightstands with bookcases outboard and cabinets below. Four drawers are located at the foot of the bed. Overhead, two large opening deck hatches with teak trim and OceanAir screens with privacy shades provide exceptional ventilation. Two opening portlights and two fixed seascape windows open the stateroom to wonderful views and an abundance of light.
To starboard, is a double settee with tucked tan Ultraleather upholstery with a segmented shelf outboard and drawers below. To port is a bank of three wide drawers beneath a large segmented shelf. To port and starboard are large double door wardrobe hanging lockers with a cabinet below. Forward is a fold-top desk, a bank of narrow drawers, and a beautifully crafted teak seat on a pivoting stainless frame. Above the desk is a Samsung TV recessed into the forward bulkhead. At the desk is a 110V, USB, and 12-volt outlet.
For many couples cruising aboard the Hylas H70, one of the best features of the master stateroom has proven to be his and her style ensuite heads enabling each partner to have their own space.
Private Head Ensuite to Master Stateroom
To port, is the private owner's head with three mirrored medicine cabinets with teak fiddled shelves, countertops with solid teak fiddles, stainless steel sink with Moen fixtures, teak, and stainless steel towel rack, two small teak shelves for toiletry items, and a Raritan Atlantes electric freshwater flush toilet. The large, separate, stall shower has a folding teak shower seat and a linen closet outboard. Two opening portlights and a 3-speed Bora fan provide ventilation.
With an emphasis on enjoyment and functionality, and designed for long-distance voyaging, the galley of "Ragnar" was specifically configured to ensure unparalleled comfort at sea, or at anchor. Galley features include two, high-efficiency stainless-steel front-loading refrigerators, pullout beverage chiller, and cavernous top and front access freezer. For convenience, there is a pull-out dishwasher, U-Line icemaker, and a convection microwave oven. The Force-10 gimbaled cooker has four burners, an oven with broiler, safety bar, and a countertop insert that when stowed, turns into a stainless steel backsplash.
The Witch Hazel Corian countertops with solid teak fiddles and coordinating backsplashes are not just gorgeous, but highly functional and durable. With nearly 34 sq. ft. of preparation surface, there’s no reason to leave your culinary passion ashore. The cabinets have slats for ventilation and were designed to be deep enough to accommodate full-size galleyware and cookery. There is a total of eight drawers. At the rear of the galley are two rolltop lockers. The locker to starboard is for a coffee maker, to port a deep pantry for dry goods. Above the refrigerators is a spice rack. The custom double basin stainless steel sink has a faucet with pullout sprayer, a separate faucet for filtered drinking water, and a soap dispenser.
- Witch Hazel Corian countertop and backsplash with teak fiddles
- (2) Frigoboat MS Series front opening stainless steel refrigerators
- Large top and front access freezer with substantial insulation and double seals
- Frigomatic 24-volt DC compressors with Guardian digital temperature monitors and automatic controls. Two compressors for the refrigerators, and two for the freezer.
- Force-10 four-burner gimbaled propane stove with oven and broiler. Cookery cabinet located beneath the cooker.
- Fisher & Paykel pullout dishwasher
- Wine chiller
- Isotherm drawer-style beverage chiller
- U-Line icemaker
- GE Advantium 120 convection microwave oven
- Scandvik double basin stainless-steel sink with chrome pull out faucet, dedicated tap for the two-stage Aquasana filtered drinking water, and soap dispenser
- 20-gallon Isotherm water heater
- Cabinet with controls for the ECH2O Watermakers
"Ragnar" was designed to provide an environment of relaxation and enjoyment for all those welcomed aboard. With that goal in mind, RAGNAR is equipped with a state-of-the-art entertainment system integrated throughout the yacht with 4-zones of independent audio as well as Smart TVs in the main salon and all cabins.
- Samsung 40” LED smart TV in the main salon
- Samsung 36” LED TV in the master stateroom
- Samsung 26” LED TV in the VIP cabin
- Samsung 20” LED TV in the forward guest cabin
- Fusion stereo and entertainment system networked throughout the yacht enabling audio enjoyment throughout 4-Zones independently, each with a dedicated Episode EA-Mini digital amplifier, and Episode stereo remote.
- Fusion flush-mounted interior and cockpit speakers
Equipped for near limitless voyaging, "Ragnar" features an extensive navigation and communication suite. Garmin GPSmap 8000 Glass Helm multifunction touchscreen displays are located at each helm as well as the navigator station. Each display is integrated with the Garmin high definition color radar, AIS transceiver, SiriusXM weather, Garmin GMI 20 displays, and various transducers.
The communication suite on "Ragnar" enables connectivity anywhere on the globe with a (2022) KVH Satellite Communications Dome/Sat phone and (2022) Peplink Satellite/Cellular/ & Wifi, an ICOM IC-718 high frequency all band transceiver radio, and a Garmin 200 VHF.
Located mid-ship starboard, is a proper navigation station configured for full control and monitoring of the necessary systems, communication and navigation equipment necessary for world voyaging. The large L-shaped navigator's desk includes an outboard-facing chart table well suited for plotting and coursework on full-size Admiralty charts, as well as a forward-facing office desk. Both include an intricate ebony and holly compass rose inlaid surface with folding-top and storage inside. There is even a recess for an office printer. The navigator's chair is trimmed with tan leather and is supported by an adjustable stainless-steel pedestal.
Outboard of the navigation station are controls and monitors for the various systems aboard "Ragnar". These controls, as well as the navigation and communication equipment, are mounted to a hinged panel allowing for quick and easy service access when necessary.
At the Navigation Station:
- Garmin GPSMAP 8212 Glass Helm multifunction 12” touchscreen display
- Garmin GPSMAP 78cc handheld GPS
- Garmin GMI 20 multifunction display
- Garmin 200 DSC capable VHF radio with handheld GHS 20 microphone
- ICOM IC-718 HF transceiver all band radio with a handheld microphone
- ICOM IC-M36 handheld VHF radio
- (2022) KVH sat phone
- (2022) Peplink satellite, cellular, and wifi communications
- Victron electrical system monitors
- (2) Electto Guard protection panels for monitoring the status of the engine and generator starting cathodes and for detecting stray electric current from nearby sources.
- (2022) Sensotex fuel and water tank monitors
- Garmin SD/microSD card reader integrated with the multifunction displays and navigation system
- Ambient weather monitoring station with a digital thermometer, barometer, and historic and predictive reporting
- Fireboy engine shutdown system control panel
- (2022) Ghost Systems mobile security cameras
- Garmin GPSMAP 8215 Glass Helm multifunction 15” touchscreen displays located at both helms
- Garmin GMI 20 multifunction displays, three located above the companionway
- Garmin GHC 20 autopilot control heads at the helms
- Garmin 4kW high definition digital color radar with a 48NM range
- Garmin autopilot ECU computer, with fluxgate compass, Lewmar Mamba drive unit, and wireless remote
- Two Garmin GPS receivers; one GPS19x and one GA30
- Garmin Depth/Speed/Temp DST800 tri-data transducer
- Garmin GWS10 wind vane transducer at the masthead
- Garmin AIS 600 Blackbox transceiver
- Garmin GXM52 SiriusXM antenna and weather receiver (No data contract in place for this SiriusXM system)
- Garmin GRF 10 rudder position sensor
The hull of "Ragnar" features solid, hand-laid, Twaron carbon aramid fiber reinforced GRP utilizing Vinylester resins and Isophthalic gel coat. Five layers of epoxy Interprotect and an additional three coats of bottom paint ensures superior protection against osmosis. The hull design incorporates two watertight bulkheads: a collision bulkhead at the bow, and a watertight stern section across the aft lazarettes. The hull is in near flawless condition, with white gel coat, brown cove, and double boot stripes, a natural teak rub rail with stainless steel striker, and black bottom paint. The rudder incorporates a 60% partial skeg, with the bottom of the rudder plane designed to be above the lowest point of the keel for grounding protection.
- August 2023: new bottom paint. Two full coats of Pettit Trinidad green, which should last 2 - 3 seasons (see photos)
The deck is constructed of hand-laid laminates with a ¾ inch end-grain balsa core. In areas of high stress, such as where deck fittings are taking compressive or tensile forces, the deck is solid fiberglass. The hull to deck joint is both chemically bonded with 3M 5200 and mechanically fastened with stainless steel through bolts.
The bow is well protected with a sturdy 316 stainless steel stem fitting with striker plate and double bow roller, a signature feature of every Hylas Yacht. In the forepeak is a near 10 ft deep sail locker with a segmented chain locker forward.
At the transom, an additional stainless-steel plate offers protection for the stern. The swim platform has LED courtesy lights, as well as stainless steel handrails, shower, and a folding swim ladder, perfect for the enjoyment of water activities. A sizeable stern garage provides an impressive amount of storage space, more than ample room for a dive compressor, and scuba equipment. Two large lazarettes located to port and starboard and all deck lockers have secure watertight latches and independent overboard drains.
The bonded teak deck has light-colored caulking that is not only modern and aesthetically pleasing but also ensures the deck is substantially cooler than a traditional teak deck. The toe rail and handrails on deck are natural teak. The foredeck and coachroof are finished with a Linen Beige colored molded non-skid.
Seven Manship stainless steel low-profile hatches and twenty opening portlights with screen inserts, and two dorade boxes with stainless cowlings provide excellent ventilation below. The stern rail extends to midship and, along with the stanchions with uncoated double lifelines, are over 33 inches high and 1 ½ inch in diameter with substantial backing for both safety at sea and comfort while moving about the deck.
- Bonded teak decking with light gray caulking on the main deck, foredeck, side decks, an aft deck with natural teak handrails and toe rail
- Custom stainless steel davits with Dyneema lines – 500 lb lift capacity per arm
- An exceptional amount of storage on deck with two large lazarettes, full beam transom garage accessible from both the swim platform and aft deck, as well as a massive sail locker forward with segmented chain compartment. All lockers have secure latches for a watertight seal and independent overboard drains
- Stainless steel pulpit with two dolphin seats, custom-designed to accommodate the removable carbon-fiber bowsprit and twin anchor receivers.
- Stainless steel pushpit with teak transom seats and solid rails that extend to the midship boarding gates
- Midship boarding gates to port and starboard with removable stainless steel and teak ladder
- Heavy-duty stanchions and double uncoated lifelines over 33 in. tall for safety at sea
- Large swim platform with teak steps, stainless steel handrails, hot/cold shower, and LED courtesy lights
- Heavy-duty stainless steel mooring cleats (2) at the stern, (4) midship, and (4) at the bow
- Dorade boxes with stainless steel cowlings and rails on the foredeck (2)
- (7) Manship low-profile deck hatches with 316 stainless steel frames and smoked acrylic lenses, opening portlights with screen inserts (20), and (4) fixed portlights in the hull
- (2) Stainless steel deck masts on the aft deck for the antenna array and future expansion for satellite equipment.
- (2022) Sunbrella Sun Bed for the foredeck
- Heavy-duty pad-eyes in the cockpit and on deck for utility purposes, jack lines, and harness hardpoints for offshore sailing
- Glendinning Cablemaster electric shore power cable spools with automatic retrieval
- Glendinning electric spool for the wash-down hose with automatic retrieval
- Deck courtesy lights
The Owner's Perspective – Davits Having watched for years many couples or shorthanded crew struggle and strain to launch and recover their dinghies using the basic davits available to sailors, particularly in choppy seas and on vessels with sugar scoop design transom, I decided it was time to design and have built davits that made the task simple, efficient, and safe. The result was our custom davits.
These davits can extend internal arms out to allow a 12-foot dinghy to be lowered into the water just past the stern of the vessel's sugar scoop. These internal extension arms are extended and retracted using in-davit arm standard 24-volt worm screw motors. Lowering and lifting the dinghy are controlled by a standalone 24-volt hydraulic system that can lift or lower the bow or stern of the dinghy independently, enabling easy draining of the dinghy when necessary.
The davit system allows for launching and recovering a dinghy quickly with a single crew member. The system has been working well now for over 8 years in a wide variety of sea conditions.
Anchoring and Mooring
- Lighthouse 1510 double gypsy hydraulic anchor windlass with bow and cockpit controls
- Capstan outboard of the port gypsy
- Harken twin pump hydraulic pump for the windlass – Upgraded from the standard Hylas H70 single pump configuration
- Stainless steel stemhead fitting with dual bow rollers and striker plate for hull protection
- Oversized stainless steel Spade 200 Series primary anchor with 270 ft of 7/16 inch galvanized chain
- Stainless steel Spade 160 Series secondary anchor with 80 ft of 7/16 inch galvanized chain and 200 ft of rode
- Line snubber
Helm Stations and Cockpit Lounge
One of the best features of "Ragnar" is the large lounge style cockpit with walk-through access from the aft deck. Open and spacious, yet uncompromising toward the qualities which make for a serious offshore sailing yacht such as foot bracing when the yacht heels, tall and comfortable backrests, and a cockpit environment which is dry and well protected in foul weather. In the center of the lounge, a beautiful high gloss varnished cockpit table with dual leaves and built-in ice chest makes for a fantastic, al fresco dining experience for up to twelve.
The full-length fiberglass hardtop was uniquely designed for "Ragnar" and constructed by YRM of Fort Lauderdale. The design concept was to create a cockpit environment that is both well protected from the elements during foul weather, yet able to be open and unrestricted, with excellent ventilation, when the weather is best. In addition, and where most get it wrong, the hardtop had to flow with the lines of the yacht, the owner wanted it to not only work as intended, but it had to look good too.
Integrated into the hardtop are (18) flush-mounted, dimmable LED lights (new in 2022) and two, opening sky-views with Sunbrella shades allowing for excellent visibility of the sails from the cockpit lounge and helms. Solar panels are mounted on top of the hardtop, with room for future expansion.
Forward are three acrylic windows with alloy frames. The outer windows are curved, providing protection from the elements in the cockpit, while the center window with two gas struts, can be opened to allow a cool sea breeze to flow through. A full set of Eisenglass panels insert along channels in the hardtop, a far easier system to install than zippers, creating a well-protected enclosure that is far better than a soft canvas bimini when the weather is foul.
For a seventy-foot yacht, the sightlines to the bow, transom, and sides could not be more clear or less obstructed. With fantastic visibility of the sails, easy access to the push-button controls, bow and stern thruster joysticks, and a full array of navigation and communication equipment at your fingertips, the Hylas H70 is indeed suitable for short-hand sailing.
- Walk thru cockpit design with dual helms and lounge seating for twelve
- Full-length fiberglass hard-top with sky-view windows, Lexan acrylic glass windows forward, and complete enclosure with Sunbrella and Eisenglass panels
- Varnished cockpit table with double leaves, built-in ice chest, and softcover
- Retractable smoked Lexan washboard and main companionway hatch with contoured stairs and stainless-steel handrails for safe and secure transition from interior to exterior
- (6) Coaming compartments with teak fiddles
- Bonded teak cockpit sole and seating with light gray colored caulking
- Padeyes for harness hardpoints
- Sunbrella helm and lounge seat cushions and backrests/bolsters
- Drink holders
- 12-volt DC outlets
- LED courtesy lights
At the Port Helm:
- Garmin GPSMAP 8215 Glass Helm multifunction 15" touchscreen display
- Garmin GHC 20 autopilot control head
- Teleflex electronic throttle
- S-Link variable speed bow and stern thruster joystick control
- Cockpit control panel for exterior lights, navigation lights, bilge system, engine room blower, and Fireboy fire suppression system
- Carbonautica GRP wheel, white with painted wood grain - an upgrade from the standard stainless steel style
- Ritchie 5" backlit binnacle
At the Starboard Helm:
- Garmin GPSMAP 8215 Glass Helm multifunction 15" touchscreen display
- Garmin GHC 20 autopilot control head
- Yanmar electronic engine control and start panel
- Teleflex electronic throttle
- Sidepower dual joystick thruster control modules (new 2022)
- Harken hydraulic control panel
- Carbonautica GRP wheel, white with painted wood grain - an upgrade from the standard stainless steel style
- Ritchie 5" backlit binnacle
Mast and Rigging
- Keel stepped Selden triple spreader aluminum mast with hydraulic in-mast furling
- Selden boom featuring custom built-in preventor with cockpit controls enabling easing deployment and retrieval
- Selden Furlex hydraulic furling genoa and staysail
- Split backstay with SSB insulator and Harken hydraulic tensioner with cockpit controls
- Harken hydraulic boom vang
- Navtec rod standing rigging, cold drawn Nitronic-50 stainless steel for superior strength and resistance to corrosion
- Spare genoa and main halyards
- Running backstays
- Lewmar mainsheet traveler
- Custom GMT carbon fiber removable bowsprit and spinnaker/downwind poles
Winches and Sail Control
One of the primary design requirements for RAGNAR was that she needed to be a yacht that, despite her size, could still be sailed comfortably, safely, and confidently with a minimal crew. With her configuration, she can be easily sailed by a couple.
- Antal W80.3 3-Speed electric self-tailing primary winches
- Antal W66 2-speed electric self-tailing secondary winches
- Antal W66 2-speed electric self-tailing mainsheet and outhaul winches
- Antal W44 2-speed self-tailing traveler winches
- Antal W52 2-speed self-tailing halyard winches on the mast
- Spinlock line clutches for the preventer and spare halyard
- Spinlock line jammers for the two additional spare halyards
- Antal mast tracks for the mainsail, genoa, and staysail. It allows for precise trim and tension of the halyards while also reducing the need for so much excess line on deck.
- Selden external mast track for storm sail with Selden bat cars
- GMT Composite downwind pole
- Antal cheek blocks and genoa tracks
- Harken blocks
- (2021) Quantum Fusion M8 carbon laminate sails: Furling Main, 100% Staysail, 135% Genoa
Engine and Mechanical Systems
"Ragnar" is the second-to-last Hylas 70 built and has been maintained professionionally throughout her life. Her current owner has had a full-time captain aboard her since day 1. Numerous improvements were incorporated into her construction including the larger 260HP Yanmar engine, a desirable 24 volt electrical system with twin 6kw Volvo Penta DC generators, redundant watermakers, and variable speed bow and stern thrusters. The variable speed bow and stern thrusters operate in coordination, enabling a "dock-assist" mode which uses the thrusters to keep the yacht in place against the dock, making it an easy job to secure or release lines or for a quick touch-and-go to pick up guests.
- Yanmar 6BY3 260HP turbo diesel engine with Tides Marine high-speed 3000 dripless shaft seal, Yanmar Teleflex electronic throttles and engine controls, and isolation coupler
- Engine Hours: 2690
- In 2022, as part of a robust preventative maintenance program, the transmission was replaced, the turbo, mixing elbow, and seals were replaced, and the Yanmar engine cockpit control panel was replaced.
- In 2022, the 5-blade Max Prop was completely rebuilt and the cutlass bearings were replaced
- (2) Volvo Penta DC 6kW generators integrated and fully automated with the yacht's lithium-ion electrical system. Approximately 1200 hours on each generator.
- Variable thrust Sidepower 24VDC PPC800 Bow thruster (completely serviced with all new seals 2023)
- Sidepower SRVP 250 TC Retractable Stern Thruster with new (2023) control modules (completely serviced with all new seals 2023)
- New (2022) SidePower Thruster power modules and main power breakers
- (2) ECH2O 24-volt DC watermakers, with a combined capacity to make 64 gallons per hour with autorun and self-maintaining cycles. Control panels located in the galley.
- New (2022) Termodinamerica TD24V reverse cycle air-conditioning system with custom digital controls – 56,000 BTU total. One great feature of this system is its capability to run solely off the lithium-ion battery system, completely independent of the generators or shore power for nearly 12 hours. (One of the 4 compressors was new in 2020, the other 3 in 2022)
- Splendide 2100 XC combination washer and dryer with overboard ventilation for fast, efficient drying
- Mamba solid linkage steering system
- 2023 Shaft line-cutters with diamond-cut blades
- Dual Racor 75/500FGX Max Series main engine fuel filters with bypass for fuel polishing
- Racor 500FG Turbine Series generator fuel filters
- Engine and generator water contamination alarms
- Engine and generator electric oil change pump
- (2) Engine room blowers
- Extensive inventory of spare parts, filters, and service items
Plumbing and Tankage
- Fuel – 710 Gallon total capacity – (4 tanks)
- Water – 360 Gallon total capacity – (4 tanks)
- Holding – 66 Gallon total capacity with a 44 Gallon fiberglass tank servicing the forward heads and a second 22-gallon tank servicing the aft heads, each with Dometic SeaLand macerators, discharge controls, tank monitors, and Whale Gulper 320 waste pumps.
- (4) Greywater Whale polypropylene tanks for galley appliances, sink, and heads, all with Whale Gulper 320 automatic pumps. The forward greywater tank is plumbed to both forward head sink, shower, and floor drains as well as the forward and salon air conditioning condensers. The mid-ship greywater tank is plumbed to the galley sink and dishwasher with a second grey water tank plumbed to the refrigerator and freezer drains. The aft greywater tank is plumbed to both aft head sink, shower, and floor drains as well as the master stateroom air conditioning condenser.
- Fuel and water tanks are constructed of 316 stainless steel with baffles and vents. Tanks are located under the sole in the main salon and have quick-access inspection ports for cleaning and maintenance.
- Sensotex electronic fuel and water monitoring system with displays at the nav station.
- Aquasana two-stage filtered drinking water
- Pressurized hot/cold water with (2) ShurFlo Aqua King II freshwater pumps
- 20 Gallon Isotherm 110VAC hot water heater, also plumbed to both the main engine and generator 1 heat exchanger for hot water while under either generator or main engine power.
- Glendinning Hosemaster retractable washdown hose for the fresh and saltwater washdown with independent Jabsco FLO 5.0 pressure pumps
- Rule 3700 primary & Jabsco Gusher 320 secondary bilge pump with Rule-A-Matic Plus automatic float switches and high-water alarms. Independent lazarette pump with alarm.
- Hot/cold transom shower
- (2) Whale Gusher 10 manual bilge pumps
- Groco sea strainers
- (2) 20 lb. propane tanks and regulator with second-line plumbed to the deck BBQ grill
Aft of the navigator station is the custom electrical distribution panel. This backlit panel is extraordinarily well organized, meticulously labeled, and is as close to perfection as you’ll find. While many yacht manufacturers are moving toward “simplistic” panels, Hylas has chosen the path of keeping every system on its own dedicated breaker enabling straightforward management of each component. The wiring itself is tinned as opposed to more corrosive copper. The bonding system consists of two 3 inch copper strips integrated into the hull and running the length of the yacht on either side which are then grounded to the vessel's bronze thru-hull fittings.
- Configured for 12/24-volt DC & 120/240-volt AC US electrical power
- The transformer enables the yacht to accept a variety of voltages while the (2022) Victron inverter/chargers can be configured to accept either 60 Hz or 50 Hz power. This enables "Ragnar" to utilize virtually any shore power connection around the world.
- (2022) 10 Victron Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Batteries, 2000 amp hours.
- (2022) Victron Internal Battery Management Systems
- (2022) All new wiring for the DC side
- (2) 24-volt DC Volvo Penta 6kW generators, fully adjustable charge outputs up to 240 amps at 24-volts (equivalent to 480 amps at 12-volts)
- (2022) Solaris non-skid solar panels integrated into the hard top, with regulators and monitors at the navigation station
- (2022) DC-to-DC (engine to battery bank) 30 amp alternator charging system
- (2023) Bus selector allows either generator to charge any or all batteries for added redundancy
- (3) Maxwell Technologies 500 Farad supercapacitors for the Yanmar and both DC generators, each with a dedicated 24-volt DC/12-volt DC converter and digitally monitored heatsink, eliminating the need for starting batteries
- 12-volt DC engine starting battery as backup
- Victron Energy Orion-TR isolated 20-amp 24-volt DC/12-volt DC converters
- 50 Amp 240VAC shore power inlet and cable with Glendinning Cablemaster electric retracting spools
- Television and phone inlets
- (2) 3” Copper grounding strips running the length of both sides of the hull
- (2023) New dimmable LED lights (25 in total) in the main salon and forward cabins
- Additional dimmable LED lights throughout the rest of the interior
- Accent floor lighting and LED courtesy lights throughout
- Deck lighting, mast uplights, spreader lights, courtesy lights on the deck, navigation and masthead tricolor lights
- UL Ti Mate 80 blue underwater LED lights at the transom
- 3-Speed 12VDC Bora fans in living quarters, main salon, galley, and heads
- Additional 12VDC and 110VAC outlets throughout the yacht
The Owner’s Perspective – The Advantages of a DC Electrical System As with the automobile and aviation industries, the boating industry is adopting the unstoppable evolution of using DC to power all systems.
For cruising, this means that the boat can remain on a mooring for up to 30 hours, using battery power for air-conditioning, refrigeration, and household needs. You can sit on the hook or at a mooring with full AC and silence too! The generators are currently set to automatically start and charge batteries if the batteries are down to 30%. On a mooring (or at a marina where you can lose shore power) this can be invaluable. Additionally, the Victron system has an app that allows remote monitoring of the vessel's electrical system.
The systems on "Ragnar" are quite straightforward in that it is a pure DC system so there is no need to convert onboard generated Alternating Current (AC) to DC to store in the vessel house battery banks. This approach is significantly more efficient than the normal approach of using AC primarily and converting to DC for secondary purposes.
24-volt to 12-volt conversion (in the few areas where this is needed) is simply carried out by using small and efficient down converters. The small number of 120-volt requirements, such as in the galley and laundry, are powered by converters that supply 120-volt to the relevant appliances and 24-volt charging to the house banks when either 120-volt or 240-volt shore power is attached. In addition, almost invisible from any part of the vessel, new solar panels are located on the hardtop to supply 24-volt charging to the house battery banks to a level that they can keep the batteries topped up when the vessel is resting for an extended period of time on a mooring or at anchor.
In conclusion, the above-described power system, combined with 10 new Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries, makes "Ragnar" one of the most electrically efficient vessels in her class.Lithium Battery System
From the start, Ragnar was built to be a DC-system yacht. Her original systems were brilliantly engineered, but the technology has improved considerably in the last few years. In 2022, her current owner had Victron Energy upgrade the entire system - including new wiring - to insure both maximum safety and unparalleled reliability for years to come.
The batteries in "Ragnar" are Lithium Ion Phosphate (LiFePO4), which operate at lower temperatures and cannot produce any thermal runaway. These are not typical Lithium Ion batteries. Along with a robust Battery Management System, the Victron System and LiFePO4 batteries offer immense advantages over conventional electrical systems.
Depending on air-conditioning use, "Ragnar" can be anchored for between 20 and 34 hours in silence - no generator use needed.
For more information, here is an article by one of the leading worldwide insurance underwriters: https://www.pantaenius.com/de-en/insights/journal/prevention/prevention-pantaenius/news/lithium-batteries-on-boats-what-is-important/Additional Equipment
- Winslow 8-man life raft located under the port helm seat
- Ditch bag with (2022) 406 MHz EPIRB
- Fireboy automatic fire suppression system in the engine compartment
- Fireboy Xintex SA-2 marine fume detector and smoke detectors
- Offshore first aid kit
- MOB recovery module
- Sea anchor and floating line
- Flare kit
- Life vests, safety harnesses, and jack lines
- Yanmar emergency engine stop switch
- 2015 12 ft. AB Aluminum floor dinghy with center console helm with an extra seat port side of the helm
- (2022) Yamaha 25hp wheel drive outboard engine
- Tan Sunbrella dinghy chaps and cover
- Full set of delivery covers for the cushions
Exclusions include the owner's personal items and art collectionDisclaimer
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Your Yacht Journey Starts Here
SEND US A MESSAGE
Purchasing a bluewater vessel can be a daunting prospect, especially if it’s your first boat. When you work with a dedicated DWY broker, you benefit from our team’s 200+ combined years of maritime experience.
Join The DWY Newsletter
For the latest yachting news and exclusive updates from DWY